115 Daily Wagers, 63 Housewives Died Daily In 2021, Says Govt Data


The Union Government informed Parliament on Tuesday that 115 wage earners and 63 women died by suicide every day in 2021.

A total of 42,004 daily wage earners and 23,179 housewives committed suicide in 2021, Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Nityanand Rai said in response to a question in the Lok Sabha.

Citing data from the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), Rai has presented the following numbers of suicides in India in 2021:

  • Autonomous: 20,231
  • Salary: 15,870
  • Unemployed: 13,714
  • Students: 13,089
  • Businesses: 12,055
  • Private sector: 11,431
  • Agriculture: 10,881 (5,563 workers + 5,318 farmers)

The reply stated: Out of 5,318 farmers, 4,806 were those who cultivated their own land with or without the help of agricultural workers and 512 were those who worked on leased or leased land or with or without the land of others. support of agricultural workers.

NCRB data on suicides

Men were the overwhelming victims of suicide, according to the NCRB Crime in India 2021 report.

Of the 1,64,033 people who committed suicide last year, 1,18,970 were men and 45,026 were women.

The suicide data for 2021 is consistent with that of 2020, as daily wage earners, the self-employed and the unemployed dominated the suicide victims that year as well. Officials said last year that economic hardship caused by the pandemic was a factor.

“The report did not mention Covid-19 as the reason for the 14% increase in daily suicides and the 11% increase among the unemployed, officials said that the lack of lifestyle and income during the lockdown may be among the responsible factors. A little,” he reported. The Economic Times in the first year

India’s suicide rate on the rise: NCRB data

India’s suicide rate rose to 6.2 in 2021.

Suicide rate is the number of suicides per lakh population. It has been widely accepted as a standard criterion for comparison.

The suicide rate across India was 12 in 2021. Andaman and Nicobar Islands had the highest suicide rate (39.7), followed by Sikkim (39.2), Puducherry (31.8), Telangana (26.9) and Kerala (26.9).

Maharashtra had the highest number of suicides among all states, followed by Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh, according to NCRB data.

“Most suicides were reported in Maharashtra (22,207), followed by 18,925 suicides in Tamil Nadu, 14,965 in Madhya Pradesh, 13,500 suicides in West Bengal and 13,056 suicides in Karnataka, 13.5%, 191%, 8.2% and 8% of all suicides respectively. “, the NCRB report said.

These five states together accounted for 50.4% of the reported suicides in the country. The remaining 49.6 percent cases were reported from 23 other states and eight Union territories.

Uttar Pradesh, the country’s most populous state with 16.9 percent of its population, had a comparatively lower percentage of suicide deaths, with only 3.6 percent of suicides.

Delhi, the most populous Union territory, reported the highest number of suicides (2,840) among UTs, followed by Puducherry (504).

A total of 25,891 suicides were reported in the country’s 53 mega cities in 2021.

(with PTI inputs)

Leave a Comment