Jeremy Clarkson: UK lawmakers call on Sun newspaper to sanction columnist over ‘violent misogynistic’ language



London
CNN business

A group of British MPs are calling for action against columnist Jeremy Clarkson after he wrote a “violently misogynistic” op-ed about Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, in the Sun newspaper, which was later retracted.

“We welcome The Sun’s delay of the article, we now demand that action be taken against Mr Clarkson and an immediate apology to Ms Markle,” it says. letter, It was led by Caroline Nokes, MP for the governing Conservative Party and Chair of the Parliamentary Committee on Women and Equalities.

Jeremy Clarkson tweeted

“Furthermore, we demand that definitive action be taken to ensure that no such articles are published again.”

The letter, posted on social media by Nokes and signed by 64 other MPs from various political parties, condemns the “viciously misogynistic” language used against Meghan.

“This kind of language has no place in our country, and it is unacceptable that it was allowed to be published in a major newspaper,” he says.

“Mrs Markle has made numerous credible threats to her life, calling for the intervention of the Metropolitan Police. Hateful articles such as the one written by Mr Clarkson do not exist in a vacuum and directly contribute to this unacceptable climate of hatred and violence.”

Thousands of people have written to the UK press regulator, the Independent Press Standards Organization (IPSO), to complain about the column in the Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid. As of Tuesday morning, IPSO had received more than 17,500 complaints, the regulator’s largest volume of complaints about a single article, a spokeswoman told CNN.

The Sun stopped sharing readership figures in 2020, but the latest available figures showed it had a circulation of 1.2 million in March 2020, according to trade magazine Press Gazette, citing figures from the official Audit Office of Circulations. This was the largest circulation of any national newspaper in the UK at the time.

Clarkson, best known as the host of Amazon’s “The Grand Tour” car show and former host of the BBC’s “Top Gear,” has also received strong backlash from other online commentators, and on Monday he tweeted of his regret about the column.

“Oh dear. I prefer to put my foot in. In a column I wrote about Meghan, I made an awkward reference to a scene from Game of Thrones and it took a toll on a lot of people,” Clarkson wrote. “I’m appalled that I’ve caused so much hurt and I’ll be more careful in the future.”

The Sun has since removed the article from its website.

“In response to Jeremy Clarkson’s tweet, he asked us to remove last week’s column,” the page now reads.

The Sun declined to comment further when contacted by CNN. CNN has also reached out to Clarkson’s representatives for comment.

Nokes responded to Clarkson’s tweet on his official Twitter account.

“I welcome Jeremy Clarkson’s admission that he is hurt by #notanapology, but an editorial process allowed his column to be printed unchallenged,” he wrote.

Damian Tambini, Associate Professor of Media Governance at the London School of Economics, told CNN that Harry and Meghan “have little chance of taking direct action against newspapers” because the UK’s media regulatory framework is “in a mess”. and IPSO “considered taken by the press”.

The code governing UK media standards only tackles overt racism or careless accuracy, rather than hatred, incitement or misogyny, it added.

“The code and IPSO lack credibility and are unlikely to take real action,” Tambini said.

Clarkson’s column follows the release of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s documentary series “Harry and Meghan” on Netflix this month, in which she discusses the couple’s treatment at the hands of the UK press.

Harry blamed the media for putting too much stress on his wife and linked the press coverage to a miscarriage she suffered after moving to California in July 2020.

Meghan recalled how she was stressed by the UK’s Mail on Sunday publishing a private letter she wrote to her father, Thomas Markle.

CNN contacted the Mail on Sunday and publisher Associated Newspapers Limited for comment when the documentary aired on December 15.

The Sussexes cut all ties with the UK’s four biggest newspapers in 2020 after straining ties.

The newspapers – Daily Mail, The Sun, The Mirror and Express – were then informed by letter.

In the letter, the pair said they believe a free press is “the bedrock of any democracy”, but added there is a “real human cost” to the way tabloids conduct their business.



Leave a Comment